Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Lower Standards -- Part 8





I’ve gotten to the point where, if another driver uses turn signals (which are on every frigging vehicle, right there on the steering column, within easy reach, flick, right, left, no brain, automatic and helpful and required by law) I think, “Well, that must be a decent human being. Probably a nice person. Caring, generous, compassionate, self sufficient, clear headed and able to see how their actions affect others.” Then I think, “Fuck me, I’m acting as if someone who does the bare minimum, who engages in basic human decency, who makes the least effort, who is simply awake and borderline responsive, that person is now a superstar, a phenomenon, a mastermind.”
My goddamn standards have dropped so low that I’m grateful and overcome with emotion when somebody isn’t overtly hostile and offers the slightest hint of awareness. Holy shit. Doomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment