Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Photos and Videos from Florence, Italy

 Our second day in Florence. Still not sure about the coffee protocol, but now I've figured it out. Florence is not a place where you are encouraged to hang, have conversations or study/work. The coffee is, of course, fantastic, but drink up and move on, OK? I don't mind because I'm in Italy. They can do whatever the hell they want.


 This is what people wear in Italy when they are on vacation. Or even if they are Italian. Slight variations in style, but most people dress as if they are tired and have run out of clothing.

 Or Not



The Arno. This is one of the few places in Florence where I can get a full view of the sky and landscape, be near water. It's a crowded city with narrow winding streets and there is no place that isn't picturesque.


 Shrines. Everywhere. On every corner and on many buildings. Neighborhood protection and an indication of the amount of art that is all over the place. if you like Religious art. Fortunately, I can handle it this time.

 I'm trying to make this street look like something from an Antonioni film. There are three Alimentari, or mini-markets, within sight. They all sell the same stuff. Crackers, Coke, Kleenex. I think something's fishy. I don't know the girls.


 Piazza Santa Croce at night. My apartment is to the left of the church on a noisy ally. Sound carries, but it seems to carry farther and louder in Italy. It quiets down at night and the apartment is soundproofed. Plus, I grew up listening to people yelling at each other on the street so I manage.


Another (manipulated) photo of apartments and hotels and businesses along the Arno. Hard to imagine that in 1966 the river came up to the second floor of these buildings and inundated the city. Big tragedy, lots of lost art. There are marks on the walls in the neighborhoods that show how high the water was, and it was really high. They are a little proud of it.


A page from my notebook, sketched in 15 minutes, that is a very bad interpretation of all the greatest paintings made during the Renaissance. Soon to be a film.


 Apparently there is a prohibition against chickens in churches. I may not be translating properly, however.

 Fiesole. A 20 minute bus ride into the hills around Florence. Lovely countryside and full of Palazzos. It has the feel of 500-year old money, corruption and good taste. I guess they are compatible.


 I think that they are warning us against break dancing, but, again, I may be translating incorrectly.

 Roman ruins in Fiesole. They have done a wonderful job of maintaining the site and at the same time allowing people to explore.

 My favorite place in Florence, so far. Michelangelo designed this library in the Basilica of San Lorenzo. It held all the greatest texts that the Medici collected. Illuminated manuscripts of Dante, Aristotle, Plutarch. I was blown away. Artists and writers and philosophers came here to study the documents. The floor is tiled and the ceiling is made of wood and they reflect each other. It is a perfect balance of form and content and most people are up the road looking at David. David is a cool statue, but this is a shrine to intellect and humanity and I want to live here.

Sally working at the Boboli Gardens. Nice place, bigger than it looks, Florence's back yard.



Italian Garbage Disposal public service film: Dangerous and Noisy. Step back, per favore.




A short film of San Marco Gallery. No guards around and I didn't steal anything. Progress.





Laundry. Sometimes stuff gets your attention and then you doubt your sanity.


I've seen a lot of religious paintings. They are pretty fine, but the subject matter makes me nervous. I interpreted all the themes, sketched them in my notebook within 15 minutes, and juxtaposed them with similar originals.  If I'd been alive during the Renaissance I would have been tortured and put to death and it would have been the right thing to do. I dodged that bullet.




After seeing innumerable paintings and statues in churches and museums, everything begins to look aesthetic and I feel creative while doing the most mundane tasks. I'm probably bored, or burned out. Maybe I'm going insane?








These tombs are in the floor of Santa Croce Cathedral. They've been polished smooth by 600 years of disrespectful pilgrims and worshipers.






I thought I'd let the tour group speak for themselves in the soundtrack. Can you guess their nationality?








No comments:

Post a Comment